Cyber security in public administration is an important aspect of ensuring that public authorities and government organizations are protected from cyber attacks and that their data and systems become resilient.
Cyber attack methods can vary and are constantly evolving. It is important that businesses and organizations are aware of what cyber-attacks can look like and what protective measures they should take to protect themselves. This includes using anti-malware software, implementing security policies and training employees on how to identify cyber threats.
Common forms of cyber-attacks include phishing, where cybercriminals send fake emails to infect systems with malicious software (malware, ransomware), for example - often to extort a ransom for unblocking systems. Social engineering, meaning the manipulation of employees to obtain sensitive data, is also widespread;,as are so-called denial-of-service attacks, which aim to overload servers in order to put them out of operation.
By following basic steps, cyber security can also be improved in public administration:
1) Identify vulnerabilities: Public sector actors need to regularly scan and identify vulnerabilities in their systems and networks to ensure that they are adequately protected.
2) Risk assessment: They need to assess the risk of cyber-attacks and prioritize to target and use their resources more effectively.
3) Protective measures: They should put in place security measures such as firewalls, encryption, anti-malware software, and access controls to secure their systems and networks.
4) Employee training: They need to train their employees on the importance of cyber security to ensure they are aware of threats and how to recognize and respond to them.
5) Incident Response Plan: They should create an incident response plan that describes how they will respond to cyber-attacks, including steps to recover systems and data.
6) Collaboration and information sharing: Public authorities and the private sector should work closelyand share information on cyber threats and attacks to strengthen their defenses jointlys.